Do you take insurance, and how does that work?
Yes, I do. However, to determine if you have mental health coverage through your insurance carrier, the first thing you should do is call them. You will need to pay for your counselling session yourself and then request reimbursement from them. Check your coverage carefully and make sure you understand their answers.
Is Counselling fees covered by Employee Extended Health Plans?
Employee and student health care plans (Blue Cross, Great West Life, Manulife, Sunlife, etc.) provide coverage for the services of a Clinical Counsellor. If you or your significant other have extended health benefits through your employer, some of your counselling sessions may be covered. Before coming to your first appointment, check with your insurance provider if counselling is covered under your plan.
When speaking with your insurance provider, please ask the following questions to ensure your coverage before scheduling your first session:
- What are my mental health benefits?
- Do I have coverage for a Registered Psychotherapist?
- What is the coverage amount per therapy session?
- What is my deductible amount, if any?
- What is the yearly limit of my coverage?
- How many therapy sessions does my plan cover?
- Is a referral required from my primary care physician?