Two of the most common mental health issues faced by those living in Ontario and surrounding areas are anxiety and depression. Understanding the need to tackle this pervasive problem, the government has recently announced free therapy for those who are diagnosed with these issues.
It is a part of a publicly funded program called Mindability. It was announced by the Ontario health minister along with the associate minister of mental health. The program runs under the initiative of the government called the Roadmap to Wellness. To make the program successful, the government has invested up to $1.9 billion over a period of ten years.
Aims of the program
Through this innovative program, the government aims to –
- Build a system that is comprehensive and connected
- Provide all Ontarians with free access to high-quality care for mental health problems as well as addictions
- Address and bridge gaps and issues in the system
- Provide equitable services to everyone when they need it
- Reduce the wait time for the patients
What can you expect as a potential patient?
Potential patients who want to benefit from the program can expect the following features:
- You can sign up for the program through a text message, phone, or online platform.
- After an initial assessment is completed, a specific program that is tailored to your needs will be offered by the therapists. Services will include clinical counselling, group therapy, counselling over the phone, and internet modules, among others.
- Patients who are over the age of ten will receive cognitive behavioral therapy or CBT. Through the treatment, patients will be able to build lifelong skills so they can manage their mental health in a positive manner.
When will the program be launched?
The program, Mindability, is expected to be launched in the spring of 2020. Another component of the program is likely to be launched in the fall as well. The government is yet to announce the details, including specific dates.
However, only a single component will be launched at a time. It is due to the fact that this is a massive undertaking by the government. It is also affected by different aspects such as consulting healthcare providers, grass-root organizations, caregivers, and first res-ponders. This is an attempt to make the program all-inclusive and make it a resounding success. The program is expected to be fully operational within a span of two to three years.