Mental Health Therapy Programs to Get a Boost of $20 Million from the Government
Emphasizing the need to provide free access to mental health programs, the government is set to announce a new program in Ontario. The program is called Mindability. It was introduced after three years of pilot programs that were operating in major mental health hospitals in the province.
It is the first of its kind in Canada and involves massive spending of $20 million. This is part of the $3.8 billion that was announced by the government to facilitate addiction services as well as mental health programs over the next decade.
The province, along with the rest of the country, is giving precedence for the need to have access to quality and free treatment for mental wellbeing.
What this program aims to target
Under the new program –
- Free cognitive-behavioural therapy will be provided. The therapy can be accessed online or by phone. In-person consultation will also be provided.
- It will cover individuals, families, as well as the youth who are above the age of 10.
- A branch of the program which will allow people to receive telephonic support from a certified therapist while using a self-directed manual is to be launched in the spring of 2020.
- A pilot program that caters to the children and the youth is scheduled to start operating in the winter of 2021.
- Anyone struggling with depression, anxiety, OCD, and PTSD can benefit from the new program. People struggling with addictions can also be the right candidate for the program as well.
- The program aims to help up to 80,000 people every year with talk therapy.
Highlights of the program
When the new program is fully functional, you can expect the following:
- Potential patients can be referred for the program by their doctors. In some cases, patients will be able to self-refer.
- Patients will undergo an initial screening, which will be conducted by a mental health clinician. This will help determine the right treatment for the patients.
- Patient outcomes from the treatment will be measured. This is a unique component of the program. This step will help therapists to step up the treatment if needed. Additionally, it will also allow the system to keep track of the progress of the program.
- The program will commence in phases in the province. Patients will have access to a one-stop 8-1-1 number through which they can use the services. Some branches of the program will be accessible towards the end of the year.